Cute Little Topiaries



I love topiaries and had almost everything on hand to make some.  I have seen lots of blog posts on making them, so decided to try them myself.  It was a fun project.

I used the following materials:

  • terracotta pots

  • 2 1/2" styrofoam balls

  • 5/16" dowel

  • small block of styrofoam

  • bag of soft moss

  • bag of green moss

  • white paint

  • brown antique paint

  • glue gun and lots of glue sticks

  • foam brush


I started by painting the pots lightly with white paint,  then wiped some off using a damp paper towel.  I then applied some of the brown antique paint on very lightly.




I painted the dowels with the brown antique paint. I cut them to about 7".   I stuck the dowel into the center of the foam ball.  I added some hot glue in the hole to hold it.



I used the glue gun to apply hot glue in sections over the styrofoam ball.  I put the soft moss on it, using my hand to make sure it stuck.  (and tried to keep from burning the heck out of my hand)  :)  Once I got all of the moss on, I trimmed it a bit to make it into a ball shape.


 






 


I cut up pieces of the block of styrofoam and stuck it in the pot as tightly as I could. (This picture doesn't show the styrofoam wedged in the bottom of the pot, but it should)   I drizzled lots of hot glue in there to hold everything in place.  I then stuck the bottom of the dowel into the center.  


 
 I applied more glue, then stuck the green moss on top.





And here is the finished product.  I'm very happy with the way they turned out.  It was a messy project, but so satisfying!













Thanks so much for visiting and following my blog!